UNC Health Care and the UNC School of Medicine are recruiting a science writer. They are looking for an experienced curious writer, with a talent for translating science into lay language, to serve as a Science Communications Manager for UNC Health Care and the UNC School of Medicine. The job title and description are as follows:
Science Communications Manager
Information and Communications Specialist II- PUB000DI
The University of North Carolina Health Care System and the UNC School of Medicine seek a communications professional with an aptitude for understanding and communicating complex scientific material to serve as Science Communications Manager. In this role, the Science Communications Manager will help develop a long-term strategy and implement communications programs to increase exposure of the UNC medical community’s cutting-edge research and scientific advancements. The Science Communications Manager will contribute to all efforts to promote work from the UNC medical community. Reporting to the School of Medicine Strategic Communications Manager, and working closely with the UNC Medical Center Media Relations Manager and the News team, this individual leads efforts to communicate science and research news for internal publicity and the media.
A bachelor’s degree, preferably in a discipline related to communications, journalism or science.
An advanced degree in the communications, journalism or sciences field is highly desirable.
The ideal candidate should:
• have an extensive knowledge and understanding of medical and science terminology
• have the ability to develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders including those within the institution, such as clinicians and researchers, and media
• have proven ability to develop media pitches, blog posts, press releases, articles and more, which clearly, accurately and concisely present topical scientific news
• have a minimum 5 years of communications/writing experience
• have outstanding writing, oral and interpersonal skills
• be able to handle multiple projects and priorities simultaneously and function in a fast-paced environment, but maintain a keen eye for detail
• have the ability to continuously identify unique opportunities to promote the UNC medical community’s research and science news
• have proven success as an all-around media savvy practitioner, expertise in national media relations and a keen sense of what makes news
• work well in a team environment, but also able to work independently and be results driven
• have experience within an academic or medical center environment
• have management skills with a minimum of one year of direct management experience
Candidates can apply for the job on UNC Health Care’s Careers website, at: http://uncmedne.ws/sciencecomm