Seeking Development Coordinator
Primary responsibilities include preparation of proposals and grant applications, and
performance of responsible professional and administrative work in researching,
identifying, developing and responding to public, private grant opportunities in the area
Work is performed under direction of Director of Development with the majority of the
work done independently.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Researches and identifies new local, state and national government, corporate and private foundations and private funding prospects.
- Generates proposals and documents in response to solicitations.
- Generates revenues for organization through timely submission of well-researched, well-written and well-documented grant/fundraising proposals.
- If required, supervise other consultants hired by the organization for specific writing purposes.
- Collaborates on proposal development with development representatives of school districts and institutions of higher education.
- Maintains and implements funding calendar activities including cultivation and solicitation activities.
- Identifies funding opportunities and new program areas to match organization’s funding priorities using research tools.
- Engages with program officers at organizations to solicit invitations to submit proposals for funding.
- Special projects as needed.
Competencies: To perform job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the
- Analytical – synthesizes diverse or complex information; collects research data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs workflow and procedures.
- Design – generates creative solutions; translates concepts and information into images; demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving – identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Technical Skills – assesses own strength and weaknesses; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
- Interpersonal Skills – focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication – speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills; participates in meetings.
- Written Communication – writes clearly and informatively; varies writing style to meet need; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
• Understand and advocate for the formal and informal standards, policies and
procedures of the NC New Schools including adhering to the organizational
• Remain sensitive to the interrelationship of both people and functions within
• Exercise good judgment and responsibility for decisions, consequences, and
results having an impact on people, costs, and/or quality of service.
• Maintain a positive attitude, polite phone manner and interact with all
employees, constituents, board members, etc. in a way that positively reflects
• The individual selected will identify, define and develop funding sources
to support existing and planned program activities as well as coordinate the
development, writing and submission of grant proposals to third-party entities.
The position is also responsible for collecting, analyzing and reporting data on
the performance of program activities that are funded by third-party public and
private sources. Position reports to the Director of Development.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in business, finance or communications with a
minimum of three years related experience and a proven track record in federal/state and
private corporate and foundation grant writing. Must have excellent written and verbal
communication skills, be proficient in research, interpreting and analyzing diverse data
and possess the ability to work collaboratively and independently to achieve stated goals.
Should possess excellent writing, computer skills (e.g., Microsoft Office Word, Excel,
Power point), and data management skills.