The World Federation of Science Journalists (WFSJ)
is an international federation of 44 national associations of science and technology journalists from Africa, the Americas, Asia, and Europe and two associate members. It is a non-profit corporation and the leading actor in making science journalism a strong contributor to better informed and democratic societies.
The WFSJ is recruiting an experienced and dynamic Executive Director to provide day to day leadership for the Federation’s secretariat and oversee major international projects. The Executive Director works closely with the Board to make the Federation operationally and financially sustainable.
We are looking for an exceptional individual who will develop and implement a comprehensive vision of the role of science journalism in societies, internationally. Candidates need to be world class managers with experience in journalism or communication who will deliver strategic leadership, ensure organizational effectiveness, and guarantee effective financial management in order to maintain the long-term sustainability of the Federation. The director will bring a strong set of practical ideas and skills to ensure programme excellence, revenue diversification, good connection with membership, as well as an effective communication strategy for the Federation.
- university degree;
- at least five years of experience as a manager;
- experience in journalism, media, or communication;
- a proven track record in setting organizational goals and operational plans and achieving them;
- solid experience in recruiting and managing employees, volunteers and consultants;
- experience in budget preparation and financial management and reporting;
- outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-national environment;
- the ability to represent the organization effectively in a wide range of fora;
- cutting edge creative and strategic thinking and capacity to inspire others; and
- and preferably experience in international activities, projects, or events.
The position is based in Canada but travelling overseas is required.
For a full job description : www.wfsj.org/jobs
To apply for the post, please send—before 15th April 2013 – a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to the post to meet the 10 requirements, your vision of the Federation’s future, along with your CV/resume (no photos) in English BY EMAIL ONLY to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please ensure that they are sent as Word documents with the titles “your name resume“. Please put “WFSJ Executive Director” in the email subject line.