The John M. Belk Educational Endowment is a private foundation partnering with results oriented post-secondary institutions and programs in North Carolina. The mission of the JMBEE is to empower the next generation by creating and enhancing post-secondary educational opportunities in NC and to help all motivated, purpose-driven individuals to harness the power of higher education.
The John M. Belk Educational Endowment was established by the late corporate and civic leader, John M. Belk. MC Belk Pilon, Chair, along with the Board of Directors of the John M. Belk Educational Endowment, will continue Mr. Belk’s legacy by focusing on the value of education as a means to personal fulfillment and community vitality. A strong work ethic, integrity, faith and family are inspiration to the Endowment, as is the optimism and wit of John M. Belk.
JMBEE is seeking its initial executive director to work closely with the Board developing strategies to support the vision, mission and plans for community investments. In order to do this effectively, the executive director must implement systems to efficiently initiate, evaluate, manage and review grant opportunities aligned with the mission. This person must conduct and oversee research on post-secondary issues in NC and offer these findings in an effort to provide leadership to the Board’s strategic planning. The executive director will be responsible for the implementation and overall operation of the endowment and must oversee all financial management aspects of the endowment. This person will also be responsible for hiring, managing and developing subsequent staff members. The executive director will need to be highly collaborative and have and/or develop relationships throughout the state and within the post-secondary education arena. The executive director will also need to have a thirst for knowledge and bring a level of innovation and creativity to this position. It will be extremely important to build the brand of the endowment and drive the impact it has on the state.
- Bachelor’s degree required with a strong preference for a graduate level degree
- 8-10 years of non-profit leadership or management experience
- Experience managing and developing staff members
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Comfortable speaking in public to a broad audience
- Strong networking skills and ability to build relationships
- Experience with fiscal management of an organization or department
- Knowledge of higher education and post-secondary educational issues preferred
- Entrepreneurial experience preferred
- Familiarity and exposure to North Carolina preferred
To apply for this position:
Submit your resume and cover letter via email to Christie@elinvar.com. The deadline for submission is March 15, 2013.